Wednesday 28 December 2011

Carrot Cake








On a diet at Christmas 

I was told that Christmas would be one of the hardest times to be on a diet but I have actually found it okay.  It is a little annoying when there are little options for those who like to be healthy at parties and other people's houses, so what do I do. I avoid all the stuff I don't want and cook BETTER food for myself.
As a dancer I need to be on form all of the time and I will soon be taking part in a set which requires quite a revealing outfit so I need my 6 pack on point.  This Carrot Cake is Low Fat and yummy and delicious.  I made it for Christmas and jazzed it up with butter icing, pineapples and raisins for the family.  I had my piece before I added on all the extras.  Otherwise my boss would have said a thing or too ;)


Ingredients:

2 1/2 cups (310g/ 10oz) Self - Raising Flour, 1 Teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda, 2 Teaspoons of Ground Cinammon, 1 Teaspoon of Mixed Spice, 1/2 cup (95g/ 3oz) Soft Brown Sugar, 1/2 Cup (60g/ 2oz) Sultanas, 2 Eggs Lightly Beaten, 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil, 1/3 Cup (80ml/2 3/4 fl oz) Low - Fat Milk, 140g (41/2 oz) apple pur'ee, 300g (10 oz) Grated Carrot

Method:

1. Grease a loaf tin and line the base with baking paper.
2. Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4 or 180'c
3. Sift the flour, soda and spices into a large bowl.
4. Stir in the sugar and sultanas.
5. Mix  the eggs, milk and apple pur'ee in a separate bowl.
6. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients.
7. Stir in the carrot.
8. Spread into the tin and bake for 1 1/4 hours.
9. Cool and decorate as you like.

This was taken from 'The Complete Low- Fat Cookbook'

Thoughts on the recipe

My mum really enjoyed the cake and thought it was absolutely delicious, however I personally think that the cake didn't need that much sugar and could have had more fruit.  So to make it even healthier for myself I will not include any sugar and add a a little more fruit to my taste.  Then I'll do a 2 hour dance session after... lol.

Treats

Sometimes I feel really bad about treatin myself and though I have become a little funny about food this is one recipe I was definately glad that I had.  To be honest I could only bring myself to have a quarter of the serving without the toppings.  It tasted too good to be true. Love Carrot Cake ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment