Friday 9 December 2011

Figgy Prune Cake








My Christmas Cake 

I was feeling very festive when I decided to make this cake. I had many figs and prunes and I wanted to make something rich, indulgent and full of antioxidants. So voila! My Figgy Prune Cake thanks to Sainsbury's veggie cookbook.  The reviews I got from this cake were great and I must admit I did find myself sneaking in pieces every now and  again.  When I was mixing it the flavours reminded me of my Gran Gran's cooking.  I did however make the mistake of adding my double whipped cream to the cake while it was hot, but actually when it melted inside the cake it tasted so damn good.

Ingredients:

125g (4 oz) pitted prunes chopped, 125g dried figs chopped, 150ml (1/4 Pint) Apple Juice, 75g (3oz) Clear Honey, 125 ml Corn Oil, 2 Eggs beaten, 150g wholemeal flour, 1/2 teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda, 1 teaspoon Ground Mixed Spice, 1/2 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg, 125g Natural Yoghurt, 25g (1 oz) chopped Walnuts.

Method:

This recipe is from 'The Best of Sainsbury's Vegetarian Cooking'

1. Place the prunes and figs in a pan with the apple juice, cover and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
2. Leave the prunes and figs to cool.
3. Stir in the remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly, except the walnuts.
4. Pour into a lined and greased cake tin and prinkle walnuts over the top.
5. Bake in a preheated oven for 50 - 55 minutes gas mark 4
6. Cook until it is firm to touch.
7. Leave in the tin for 2 minutes then cool.

Relaxing

I personally feel that this cake tastes much better when it is warm and eaten with some fruits and dessert sauce and ice cream.  When I made it I just wanted to relax and have a quiet relaxing evening in.  It worked the cake was divine and gave me sweet dreams.  For a little extra touch I made 2 cakes and added double whiped cream inside of them.  I put the cream in the cakes just before they became cool, so when the cream just melted slightly it oozed out of the cake dripping to the base. Cut quickly into slices and wrapped up so the cream wouldn't drip everywhere, I served it straight away.

No comments:

Post a Comment