Friday 9 December 2011

Birdspeed Salmon Tart


This is one of the best tarts I have ever made! It may not look like much but it was packed full of flavour, though I could only eat 2 I still wanted more! I call it 'Birdspeed's Salmon Tart' because it's quick, easy to make, and it's healthy.  Birdspeed is my dance name... it means to move real fast in Bajan (Barbadian) creole.

It's basically Puff Pastry with a variety of toppings that you like.

The idea was from Sam Stern's Student Cookbook so here is his version.

Ingredients:

Puff Pastry (depends on how much you want to make), 3 - 6 tbsp Passata, Garlic, Aubergine, Olive Oil, Parmesan/ Cheddar, Fresh Basil, Parsley, Oregano, Salt, Black Pepper.


Method:

1. Cut pastry into rectangles and brush with water or milk.
2. Cut strips of the length and press the strips on the base.
3. Prick base with a fork.
4. Mix passata and garlic and spread over base.
5. Fry aubergine till lightly brown.
7. Place aubergine on base with passata, cheese, oilive oil, herbs.
8. Bake for 20mins till the base is crisp and brown and the pastry has risen.

Be creative

Making this dish is just like making a pizza, so make up your own toppings and experiment.  The day I made this I used salmon and big tomatoes, served with creme frieche and avocado.

No comments:

Post a Comment