Tuesday 20 December 2011

Frittata




Cooking for mum

Having the chance to live on my own and cook for myself helped me develop my passion for cooking.  I thought it was about time that my mum got to taste some of my healthy dishes and see how much my culinary skills have improved.  My mum has always brought me up on healthy food and she is really good at inventing her own dishes.  I therefore had to make sure this low fat meal was up to her standards, she is one of my most important critics.


Ingredients:


200g (6oz) Baby Cougettes, 250g (8oz) Butternut Squash, 300g (10oz) Sweet Potato, 3 tablespoons Chopped Fresh Parsley, 3 Teaspoons Watercress, 3 Eggs, 2 Egg Whites, 3 Teaspoons Oil, 1 Small Red Onion, 1 Small Red Pepper, 3 Teaspoons of Mixed Herbs.
Method:

I slightly altered this recipe but took it from 'The Complete Low-Fat Cookbook'.

1. Steam the courgette, butternut squash and sweet potato until tender.
2. While this is steaming beat the egg whites and eggs together in a separate bowl.
3. Heat 2 teaspons of oil in frying pan. Then add onion and red pepper, and cook until tender or 3 mins.
4. Mix with the steamed vegetables and the parsley, and mixed herbs.
5. Add the rest of the oil and spread out the vegetables.
6. Pour beaten eggs and egg whites into the pan.
7. Cook over a medium heat until eggs are almost set, but still runny on the top.
8. Wrap the handle of the pan in foil to protect it and place under a hot grill.
9. Pierce the frittata to check whether it is cooked right through.
10. Once cooked cut into wedges and serve :)

Final Verdict

Mum thought it was very nice and had another serving.  However, it needs a little pinch of salt when all of the vegetables are added to the onion and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment