Friday 9 December 2011

Chickpea, Spinach & Potato Curry


Good 4 Students

This was the first dish I made in my new student apartment as a 3rd year.  It was great value for money because it lasted over a week. It was packed full of flavour and fresh ingredients from the market.  I am very proud of this dish.  There is nothing more satisfying than cooking your own food and knowing what's in it!

Health Conscious

I am very determined to eat good healhy food.  I was brought up on very healthy diet and had the fast food meal on a one off occassion and my desserts were usually healthy or light.  I really feel that eating fast food more than once a week is a little too much.  It's always good indulge a little and it's understandable when you have such a busy lifestyle, but in the long time I don't think it's worth it.


Ingredients:

This dish was taken from Sam Stern's Student Cookbook.  I have not added the measurements for all food because I like to change it up a bit.  Also I tend to add special spices of my own. 

3 Large Potatoes, 1 Large Sweet Potato, 2 tbsps Sunflower/ Groundnut Oil/, 1 large Onion, Garlic, Salt, 2 tbsps Curry Paste, can Chickpeas, 500ml Veg Stock or Water, Lemon Juice, 200ml Coconut Cream, Mango Chutney, Tomato Puree, Coriander, Chopped Tomatoes, Ground Almonds (optional), SPINACH (love spinach)

Method:

1. Peel potato and sweet potato then cut into bitesize chunky bits.
2. Heat oil in large pan, dish whatever then add onion, garlic and a little salt. Cook until onions transparent.
3. Stir in Curry paste. Cook for 2 minutes.
4. Add sweet potato and potatoes and chickpeas. Stir to coat and cook for 1 minute.
5. Add veggie stock or water, lemon juice, coconut cream, mango chutney, tomato puree, coriander, tomato and almonds.
6. Increase heat to boil, stir and reduce the heat. Cover and simmer gently for 45 minutes.
7. Stir and check it every so often.
8. Add the spinach and cook till it is wilted
9. Add seasoning until you're content.

Result
I was constanly going back for more and the boyfriend thought it was delicious so I was happy. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment