Saturday 28 April 2012

Tuna & Mushroom Pitta Pizza

Healthy Student Grub

As a student I cannot cook gourmet food everyday, so to ensure I get all of my vegetables and nutritional goodness I need to make sure I create really tasty, quick and healthy snacks to keep me going during the essay period.  My pitta pizzas also reminded me of my time working in an American Camp.  We would make our own pizzas using pitta bread and various other ingredients around a camp fire. I can remember the American kids telling me about the wacky pizzas they had tried at various diners.  My pitta pizzas may not be as imaginative as the "Nacho Triple Cheese Mighty Meat Pizza", but they are satisfying and enable you to get through Aesthetics and Politics!

This recipe was inspired by my trip to America and adapted from 'Asda Fit For Life' meal plans.

Ingredients:

Wholemeal pitta bread, oregano, basil, 1/4 beef tomato, 4 button mushrooms, 1/2tbsp tomato ketchup, 10g mild cheddar cheese, 4 heaped tsps tinned tuna,

Method:

1. Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4.
2. Spread tomato ketchup on pitta bread.  (Do not bother slices the pitta bread in half.)
3. Wash and chop mushrooms into little pieces then place on top of the pizza.
4. Add the tinned tuna.
5. Slice or grate the cheddar cheese and add to the pitta.
5. Wash and slice tomato and add place on top.
6. Sprinkle basil and oregano over the top. (Roughly 5 shakes of each.)
7. Cook for 10 minutes or until cheese has melted.

Saffy's Top Tip

Rather than go American, go Japanese and make a sushi style pizza with salmon and seaweed.  Fresh and healthy wins the race.  However, if you have finished your exams and you want to go Yankee Style then try melted white and milk chocolate with baked bananas and fresh cool whipped cream to serve on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment