Wednesday 18 April 2012

Bunga Bean Stew

Bunga Bean

Bunga Bean is not actually the name of a food, but the name of my Afro ponytail hairstyle which has an orange/ golden tint.  I just felt a little querky and the name sounded hilarious. I also have a song. You only live once! Anyway the colours and flavours are so vibrant, my tummy was actually singing praises to me.  I also felt super good about the dish as it was perfect for my diet, apples kidney beans, carrots, you can't go wrong.  I was also surprised by the apple and cumin combination.  Very different flavours sweet and spicy, but they worked brilliantly together.  I was very satisfied after this meal and pleased that I discovered an awsome food couple.


This recipe was adapted from 'Vegetarian Cooking' (Coombe Books, 1993)

Ingredients:

2 tbsps vegetable oil, 2 vegetable stock cubes, 2 medium onion (chopped), 2 medium apples (peeled and chopped), 2 medium onions (chopped), 3 tbsps tomato puree, 1/2 pint water, 2tbsps white wine vinegar, 1tsp oregano, 3tsps cumin, 2 tsps brown sugar, a little salt and pepper, 1 can of cooked red kidney beans (drained and washed).

Method:

1. Heat the oil in a pan.
2. When hot add the onions, carrots and crumble in the stock cubes.
3. Fry for 5 minutes whilst stirring.
4. Add the water, tomato puree and all of the other ingredients apart from the kidney beans.
5. Cover and simmer for 2 minutes.
6. Add the drained and washed kidney beans.
7. Cover and cook for 45 minutes at 180 degrees C/ gas mark 4.



Saffy's Top Tip


Serve with a dollop of yoghurt, a little mustard (for extra heat) and brown rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment