Friday 1 June 2012

Salmon Rarebit

As I  have stated before one of my number one sayings is "Cheese on Bread", so any recipe I can find to jazz up this poor man's snack you best believe I will try it.  I have always wanted to cook salmon rarebit.  I think this was invented in Wales, apparently the Welsh peasants were not allowed to eat rabbits during a hunt so used melted cheese on their toast instead. Brilliant.  I always liked the Welsh :)

This recipe was adapted from Morrison's Magazine (Result Customer Communications, 2012)


Ingredients:

2 slices of soya and linseed bread, 100ml milk, 50g cheddar, 10g plain flour, 1tsp english mustard, a few drops of hot pepper sauce, 100g canned salmon (drained), rocket to serve.


Method:

1. Place the milk in a pan with the cheddar and flour.
2. Cook over a low heat and stir continuously until the mixture is thick and smooth.
3. Remove from the heat and add the mustard and salmon.
4. Toast the bread lightly on one side then spread the sauce on the over side and grill for 3 minutes.  It should be slightly brown.
5. Splash on a few drops of hot pepper sauce and serve with fresh rocket leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment