Friday 1 June 2012

Easy Beef Chili Con Carne

With Love

My number one rule when cooking every meal is to cook with love.  If you don't believe in what you are cooking then it will not have that special something which puts a smile on your face as you take that first bite.  I have never cooked beef before because I do not eat red meat, but as I know how to make a good chili I believed I would be able to pull it off.  It is difficult to cook so many different recipes when you are on such a strict diet, but as long as you control yourself and learn how to alter recipes to suit your lifestyle then you can cook pretty much anything.  When cooking beef I used the same technique to cooking turkey mince.  It worked and I recieved very positive reviews.  I don't think I have converted myself to be a red meat eater, but I made sure I didn't offend red meat eaters.



This recipe has been adapted from the Asda Fit For Life recipe range

Ingredients:

250g extra lean minced beef, 3tsps sunflower oil, 1 large onion (chopped), 2 garlic clove (chopped), 500g passata, 1tbsp tomato puree, 2tsps chilli powder, 2tsps ground cumin, 1 red pepper (deseeded and chopped), 1tsp marjoram, 1tsp mixed herbs, 150g mushrooms, 410g tin kidney beans, 150ml vegetable stock, 1tsp ground black pepper, rice of choice to serve.


Method:

1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan and when this is hot add the beef a little at a time.
2. Keep stirring so the beef does not stick to the pan, keep cooking until the beef has browned.
3. Start cooking the rice of choice as the packet instructs.
4. Add the onion and garlic then cook for 3 minutes.
5. Add the tomatoes, puree, spices, herbs, black pepper, red pepper, mushrooms, kidney beans and stock. 
6. Bring this to the boil then simmer for 20 minutes.
7. Season to taste and serve with rice.


No comments:

Post a Comment