Friday 25 May 2012

Frozen Raspberry Topped Lemon Cheesecake



Hard Shell, Soft Center

I got my recipe for a no bake lemon cheesecake originally from James Martin, but I realised if I followed the recipe  my cake would have been a complete disaster.  As was preparing my fruit I discovered that there was a slight problem with his measurements. For example, he wrote 800g sugar (granulated!) and 600g cream cheese! This of course would never work, I decided to alter the recipe and make something which is very low in fat.  I also felt that to celebrate the hot British weather it was necessary to put a new twist on cheesecake and make it creme brulee style.  My cheesecake has a frozen top and and smooth creamy center, with a crunchy base.  Poor recipe to kitchen triumph! Saffy does it again! .... Puts on cape and stands pretentiously :)



Ingredients:


250g marscapone, 350g reduced fat soft cheese, 300g medium fat soft cheese, 11 digestive biscuits, 75g butter, the juice and zest of two lemons, 200g caster sugar, standard pack of raspberries.



Method:


1. Melt butter in a pan.
2. Crush biscuits in a bowl.
3. Mix the butter and biscuits in the bowl.
4. Place the mix in a tin and smooth. (roughly 23inches)
5. Chill the base for 15 minutes.
6. As the base chills mix all of the cheese and sugar, lemon juce and zest in a large bowl. (Do not over mix or the cheese will split.)
7. Pour this onto the hard base and chill in the fridge for 4 hours.
8. In the meantime blend the raspberries. (You can also add a little sugar for added sweetness.)
9. When the cake has set spread the raspberries over the top. (Do not worry if the juices run a little across the surface, the colour is beautiful and the more raspberries the better to get a better crunch.)
10. Freeze the cake for 2 hours.
11. When serving to get the best result and the smoothest center  leave the cake out for 20 - 30 minutes.

Saffy's Word

 I admit the preparation is quite different from the norm but the wait is worth it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment