Sunday 13 May 2012

Big Baked Lemon and Vanilla Cheesecake (Reduced Fat)



Cheesecake Challenge

I had been craving cheesecake for the longest time, but because of my strict diet it has been hard to just buy one and give in to temptation.  Even on an eating day or meal there was always another snack which I thought was a better option.  I decided to give myself a challenge and make a lower fat baked cheesecake, so on my eating day I wouldn't feel too guilty and I got to enjoy and delicious treat :)
This is the second cheesecake I have ever made in my life.  I am really glad it turned out so well.
I was also inspired to make it by my soca sister, she loves cheesecake so this was made also in honour of her birthday despite her being across the Atlantic.  It's the thought that counts :)



Decoration

The best thing about cheesecakes is that you are very much in control about how you want to decorate it.  In the book I adapted the recipe from I was inspired by the chef's use of physalis,  it tastes so sweet like Bajan Ackee and I love how it can just look like a flower.



This recipe has been adapted from 'Sam Sten's Student Cookbook' (Walker Books, 2009)

Ingredients:

225g digestive biscuits, 75g butter, 675g reduced fat cream cheese, 160g caster sugar, 3 small eggs, 1/2 rind of a small lemon, 2 squeezes of 1/2 a lemon, 2tsp natural vanilla extract, physalis.



Method:

1. Crush biscuits in a large bowl using a rolling pin.
2. Melt the butter in a pan then pour onto the bisuits and mix together.
3. Lightly grease a 24cm cake tin.
4. Press biscuit base into tin and chill for 15 minutes.
5. Blend the cheese, sugar, eggs, lemon rind, juice and vanilla.
6. Preheat oven to 150 degrees C.
7. Pour mix over the chilled base.
8. Bake for 35 minutes.
9.  Turn the oven off and leave the cake to cool and firm up.
10. Decorate.



Saffy's Top Tip

As it was my soca sister's birthday in Barbados I was dancing to soca as I made the cake and used a wooden spoon to bash the biscuits, which also worked my biceps.  So have you cake and eat more of it!


No comments:

Post a Comment