Monday 6 February 2012

British Smores

Summer Camp

I once worked as a camp counsellor at a summer camp in Pennsylvania, USA.  I had never cooked on camp fire before this experience and this easy dessert reminds me of sleeping under the stars in the forests.  Though it will be a while before I next camp outside in the cold in danger of being attacked by bears, lions and insects (which luckily never happened) it does not mean I can't recreate the traditional American camp food. 

 Within Reason

Though the smores do not actually need to have so much chocolate or marshmellows I really can only eat one.  In America the kids and adults ate 6 - 10 in one meal, to me this was ridiculous but it all depends on how much chocolate and marshmallows you actually put on.



Ingredients:

digestive biscuits, marshmellows, chocolate drops or bars (I used milk chocolate), raspberry jam (if you want to add a little sweetness).



Method:

1. Put a few chocolate drops in a heatproof bowl, then put on top of a saucepan with a little water in. Let the water simmer to heat the chocolate.
2. Put on the grill
2. Spread jam on digestives if using.
3. Place marshmellows on digestives.
4. Grill biscuits for 5mins.
5. When marshmellows are toasted and chocolate has melted spoon as much chocolate as you like onto the toasted marshmellow digestives.


Saffy's Top Tip's

1. Try Rich Tea Biscuits, these work well too if you don't feel like eating digestives.
2. If you don't want to use jam chop up some berries and put them on top of your roasted marshmellows.

No comments:

Post a Comment