Monday 23 January 2012

Quick Meringues

Genius Moment
I was making cookies and the recipe only required egg yolk so I thought that I would make meringues for the first time.  I even got to use the new whisking equipment I was given for my birthday! So exciting! I am very pleased that I learnt a new technique.  Crisp and crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside.  My recipe is a mixture of a few, and they all say the same basic thing.  This one worked very well for me so I hope it works for you.  Though I used a mixer patience was still required, so on this occasion good things come to those who wait ;)  


Ingredients:

3 Large Egg Whites, 175g (6oz) Caster Sugar, pinch of Salt

Meringues:

1. Heat the oven to gas mark 1 (140 degrees c).
2. Line a large, baking tray with baking parchment.
3. Place the egg whites in a grease free bowl using a pinch of salt.
4. With a whisker, whisk for 1 minute on a low speed.
5. Increase speed to medium and whisk until egg whites form stiff, white peaks. (approximately takes 2 -3 minutes)
6. If you lift the whisk attatchment out of the bowl the mixture should look fluffy and cling to the whisk.
7. While you whisk gradually add a table spoon of sugar at a time. This should take 5 - 10 minutes untilt he mixture is nice and glossy.
8. Using a large metal spoon place shapes around the baking tray.
9. Bake for 30 - 40mins or until the meringues are pale and dry.
10. Turn off the heat and allow the meringues to cool int he oven.


Tips from the professionals

1. Make surethe egg whites are at room temperature.
2. The meringues can be stored in an air tight containter for up to 2 weeks! (I made extra)
3. Do not open the door for the first 30 mins or the meringues will break. ( I know I was tempted too.)

Saffy's Tips

1. Meringues taste great with fruit! Or...
2. If you want something a little more "romantic" melt some chocolate and drip over the meringue, add a few strawberries and whipped cream. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment