Monday 23 January 2012

Christmas Orange Cookies

Christmas Again

Christmas can be a very stressful period and sometimes when you are so busy trying to make everyone else happy you forget about yourself.  I decided that I was going to have my own special Christmas with someone special in the middle of January after exams.  I wanted to make these cookies at Christmas, but never had a chance to make them. Well better late than never.  They don't taste as healthy as my mothers nutty biscotti but they are sweet and fun to make.



This recipe was adapted from Sainsburys supermarket xmas recipe ideas.

Ingredients:

140g castor sugar, 1/2 tsp pure orange extractr, lemon rind from an orange, 1 egg yolk, 250g butter (cut into cubes), 375g plain white flour, 1/2tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp ground cardamom (optional)



Method:

1. Place the castor sugar , orange extract, egg yolk, butter and food colouring (optional) into a food processor and pulse until well combined.
2. Add the flour, cinnamon and cardamom and mix to form a dough.
3. Shape the dough into flat shapes and wrap in cling film and chill for 20 - 30 minutes.
4. Roll the dough onto a lightly floured surface to a thickness of 5mm and cut out desired cookie shapes.
5. Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Cool on wire wrack.
7. Decorate :)


Saffy's Tip


I used a few drops of orange food colouring, I admit it was accidental but it really brightened up the biscuits! Then  the Orange Christmas Cookies actually looked orange :) Yay!

I melted chocolate and placed Christmas decorations ontop, as you can see I also used smarties.  Fun Kiddie Treats! 

Use cookie cutters to make different shapes!

No comments:

Post a Comment