Tuesday 10 January 2012

Chilli Con Turquia





Stressfree Cooking
Today I made two dishes a starter and a main.  I usually make just one meal, but I wanted to push myself and there were some ingredients that I really wanted to use before I travelled back to University.  Like camembert and freshly crushed chilli seeds.  I usually cook listening to music but this time I didn't.  I was thinking about my dissertation and worrying as usual, my mind was constantly jumping around.  I really believe that cooking should not be stressful when you are at home and making food for family members.  My food turned out to be a success, but listening to music while cooking is definitely my thing.  Apart from when my shows are on of course ;)



First Chilli

This is the first time I have ever made chilli, I followed the ingredients the best way I could and altered some of the ingredients to taste.  I never knew that sugar was added to a chilli either, it turned out really well am so happy.  I also worked out how to alter the flavouring to get it hotter or milder.  It can be served as a dip for tortilla chips, put in tacos and can be added over pretty much any staple food of your choice.

This recipe was taken from 'The Complete Low - Fat Cookbook'

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon of olive oil
 1 onion finely chopped
500g (1 lb) turkey mince
1-2 teaspoons of crushed chillies
440g chopped tomatoes
2 tablespoons of tomato paste
2 teaspoons of soft brown sugar
425g (13oz) canned red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
pepper
paprika
mixed herbs
handful of spinach and basil

Method
1. Wash turkey mince with lemon juice (It's just something I do with meat, makes me feel more at ease. Necessary!)
2. Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and cook over a medium heat for 3mins or until soft.
3. Add pepper and mixed herbs and turkey mince. Cook until turkey mince is browned and break up the lumps with a wooden spoon.
4. Add the chilli powder and cook for a minute.
5. Add the tomato, tomato paste and 1/2 cup water and stir well.
6. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 30minutes.
7. Stir through the sugar to taste.
8. Add the kidney beans and heat through.
9. Add the spinach and basil (these flavours always work really well with tomato)
10. As explained earlier you canserve with pretty much every staple. Also Corn Chips were suggested :)

Saffy's Top Tip!


Serve the Chilli with 2 dollops of yogurt, its great for dipping things into and reduces the heat of the chilli if you find it too hot.  All in all it just tastes great.

No comments:

Post a Comment