Friday 20 January 2012

Mango and Raisin Flapjack

Exam Treat

A certain someone was preparing for their last exam before the 2nd semester.  I had just returned from Leeds and wanted to show my support for someone special by making them a special treat.  As my flapjacks are always a hit I decide I would make some with different ingredients.  I chose dried mango and sultanas.


Learning Curve

Though I was very confident about my recipe, I encountered a problem whilst I was backing the flapjack.  It seemed to bubble and usually it just stays flat.  I realised that my technique of using a pureed fruit works very well because it holds the mixture and pastry together whilst cooking. However, as usual it tasted great, especially when warmed up and proved to be a worthy stress relieving treat.

Saffy's Top Tips:

1. When using dried fruit like raisins you can soak them before hand.
2. Keep tasting the recipe, if it doesn't taste right work out what you need more and less of.
3. Even every brand of margerine and butter tastes different, so whenever you change one ingredient remember it could change the whole recipe.
4. Each time you make a mistake or discover something new just remember not to get frustrated because it is all about learning. 

As I made mine without measuring and through taste whilst listening to Boyz 2 Men, hear is a fruity flapjack recipe adapted from flapjackrecipe.com, which is roughly what I did. Check this recipe for a sweeter heavier flapjack.   http://www.flapjackrecipe.com/fruit-flapjack-recipe/.

Differences

1. I used less sugar
2. I used only butter, not butter and margerine.

Ingredients:

Handful mango pieces and Raisins - to your taste, 60g Butter, 40g Brown Sugar, 250g Oats, 2 Tablespoons Golden Syrup.

Method:

1. Melt the butter in a saucepan over a low heat.
2. Add the brown sugar and 2 tablespoons of golden syrup and stir in until you have a brown paste
3. Keep stirring to your satisfaction.
4. Add in the oats, if you find it easier add them in gradually stirring and covering the oats with the paste.
5. Mix in the fruit of your choice, as much as you feel is necessary.
6. Spread the mixture over a non stick baking tray (or a greased baking tray). Use a knife to make top smooth.
7. Place in an oven (gas mark 5, 220 C) and bake for 15 minutes, checking the progress regularly. Take out when the mixture starts turning a golden brown. It should be soft in the middle and firm at the touch.
8. Stand for a minute, then score the mixture with a knife into you portions.
9. Cover the tray and leave for a few hours to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment