Wednesday 14 March 2012

Aubergine Cheat's Tart

New Vegetables

I have no idea why people are not very enthusiastic about vegetables because they are so wonderful.  My oh my though I never cooked  aubergine in my life and it's definately a vegetable I want to cook again.  Vegetables are so important for our diets so go out there and try new vegetables and if you are not a vegetable fan spice up the vegetables you like so they don't seem so boring. 



This recipe was adapted from 'Sam Stern's Student Cookbook' (Walker Books, 2009)

Ingredients:

1 pack ready made easy roll puff pastry, garlic granules, 1 medium aubergine, 3 tbsps olive oil, grated parmesan, grated cheddar, herbs of your choice, black pepper, milk to brush pastry.

Method:

1. Slice your aubergine.
2. Fry it with a little oil until lightly browed. When cooked leave to one side.
3. Mix your tomato paste with some of your herbs and garlic.
4. Roll out your pastry and cut off thin strips at the sides to put around the edges. Or create your own pastry shapes. I used rectangles.
5. Brush the pastry with milk.
6. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C/ 400 degreesF/ Gas 6
7. Place your aubergine on the pastry and add some fresh herbs.
8. Sprinkle your cheese and layer if you like.
9. Drizzle with olive oil and bake for 20 minutes until browned and the pastry has risen.

No comments:

Post a Comment